Doug Skelton – Principal
Doug Skelton is the sole Principal Lawyer of Skelton Law, Brisbane’s most expert building construction law firm. He is both a tradesman, licenced builder and lawyer who has spent his whole working life in the building and construction industry either as an apprentice chippy (carpenter), tradesman, sub-contractor, contractor, registered open builder and in the legal profession (over 15 years). Prior to founding Skelton Law, Doug worked as the expert building solicitor for a commercial law firm, and has also worked as the Director of Dispute Resolution at the QBCC.
His lifetime of experience, building, running a business and handling commercial and domestic building disputes allows him to assist his clients in many disparate areas of law. His unique combination of real world experience, practical knowledge, legal knowledge and insight, ability to understand and empathise with all concerned parties, combined with high level negotiation skills, enables him to achieve results for his clients which are fair, just, efficient and cost effective. An interesting life has taught him to listen, understand, empathise and give relevant easily understood, applicable, practical advice. Doug cares and understands, because he has been there.
Education and recognition
- Bachelor of Laws (Queensland University of Technology)
- Certificate II in Investigative Services
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training
- Dale Carnegie Management Certificate
- Building Foreman and Clerk of Works Certificate (Honours)
- Oxy and Electric Welding Courses Certificates
- Rheem Prize for Highest Aggregate of Marks in Trade Course
- Master Builders Association Gold Medal for Top Apprentice
- Carpentry and Joinery Trade Course (Honours)